INVEST IN TRADEMARK RESEARCH IT’S THE RIGHT THING TO DO
WHAT IS TRADEMARK RESEARCH?
Trademark Research is a review of your potential business name or product name to determine:
1. Availability: Who has registered the trademark and for what products or services?
2. Scope: If the trademark has been registered, what services or products is it registered for?
3. Use: Who is using the mark with or without registration and for what products or services?
READY TO LAUNCH YOUR BRAND? NOT SO FAST!
You must go into business with a strong trademark, one that is available, unique, and not strongly similar to a multitude of other marks. You must protect your brand and the money that you put behind developing your brand image, visibility (i.e. website and marketing materials), and client base.
SAVE MONEY AND AVOID INFRINGING
Trademark Research will enable you to save money by:
- Creating visibility and marketing materials with a mark that is protectable.
- Helping you avoid paying penalties to a registered trademark owner (you can be liable for three times your profit made on use of their mark) because the last thing you want to receive is a “cease and desist” letter you have to spend thousands to defend.
- Saving you money on legal fees when you start with the “attorney first” approach. It’s conceivable that several marks for consideration may not be available to you but you will be responsible for attorney fees every time you look into a name.
WHY ORDER TRADEMARK RESEARCH?
Business owners should order trademark research before using a new business or product name to:
1. Avoid Lawsuits
Registered trademark owners can sue you for three-times your profits made if you infringe their mark.
2. Avoid Losses
You will need to re-brand if your mark is found to infringe upon a registered trademark owner.
3. Strengthen Your Brand
By reviewing the uses of the mark, you can see who else is using it and how, which can help you decide whether or not the mark will make a strong brand.